Tuesday, May 16, 2017

.punk rock flea @ asbury park convention hall

The Convention Hall
It's that time again! Last year in June I found so many interesting things including that item of gold..."The Chipmunks" album I adored as a child. Never did I think I'd find it here. So what will the green doors hold this year? Convincing my Dad the night before, he agreed to accompany me on the one hour and twelve minute drive. A chilly day, yet the sun was shining. We were amazed at the artwork on some of the buildings along the boardwalk as a posed for a few pictures. My Dad took many pictures of the beach and of the nifty Convention Hall. 

90s postcard and sticker heaven!
The trip this time around was brief. Trying to restrain myself, I set a strict budget. Originally I said, "No records!" but managed to find X-Ray Spex in the mix. The guy next to me rummaging through albums whispered, "You need to get that!" I didn't even need his convincing I knew I needed to add it to my vinyl collection. Perusing the aisles a lot of the same vendors were there from last year. I stopped by some of the tables and complimented on past pieces I've purchased, especially my Bowie necklace from "Pretty in Skulls." 

More goodies!
Surprisingly I did not find many pins. My Dad graciously bought me the "Don't You Forget About Me" *air pump* Breakfast Club pin. This guy was selling knit cats and the one looked exactly like my cat PNell so I had to pick that up. Then this older guy had a box of old promo postcards and band stickers that were mostly from the 90s. I pulled out Tori Amos from her 1999 album "To Venus and Back" (freshman year at college memories!), Alanis' "Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie" and Hole "Celebrity Skin." $3 for all! I went slightly over budget because of the X-Ray Spex album but really that was the golden find of the trip.

Upstairs there was live music all day. Coincidentally I stumbled across Shark Muffin's opening set! Back in October the band opened for Tacocat at The Wonder Bar across the street. Interesting to see them again. I watched part of their set but did not stay the whole time as my Dad wanted to head back. My cousin had her artwork upstairs and I purchased another sticker from her. Funny story it's for Sadie from Sad13 the next time I see her live. Her old laptop bit the dust and she was bummed her favorite stickers were on that laptop. She tweeted about any stickers people could give her for the new laptop would be appreciated.  

That's pretty much it. Siri got us TOTALLY LOST on the way home with the STUPID CIRCLE as she kept changing from "North" to "South." We arrived home much later than anticipated but it's okay. Stopping for some really great pizza made the day even better. Another few weeks and it's off to Philly's PRF! Wonder what great things they will have there this year?!

No comments:

Post a Comment