Monday, March 27, 2017

.big thief @ johnny brendas

Not too shabby of a view from sitting on a step
Last night's show was completely sold out. All I wanted was a seat and to go sit up in the balcony area. I barely arrive 5 minutes after doors and no such luck. Although my view during the beginning of the night wasn't bad at first, it progressed to worse as time moved along. The opener was Palehound. They opened for Torres when I saw her at JB's back in January of 2016. Since my friend and I arrived late we completely missed most of Palehound's set. I'm so happy I got to witness all of their set this evening. Ellen remarked how awesome it is for all of us to see only two bands and the show ending at 10:00! I know! She also remarked all of us will share with our grandkids seeing Big Thief tonight in a sold out venue and how magical they are.

My worst concert photography ever. Not a proud moment.
There were a lot of people from New York who made the trek to Philly for this show. I'm not surprised and couldn't help overhearing conversations around me. Big Thief opened for Margaret Glaspy in the fall at JB's and because I came late, I missed most of Big Thief's set. This sounds awful I normally arrive earlier or on time to shows. Tonight I heard every song in all it's glory. My view continued to be obscured as more and more people came upstairs. I finally got up on all 3 steps but that didn't help because the only thing in front of me were rows of heads. Some girl must've yelled "FUCK YEAH!" 20x when they kicked into "Masterpiece." Yes that is a great song but every song Big Thief plays deserves that kind of response. I left during their final song to beat the crowd and man was it crowded! I could barely get down the steps a sea of people everywhere. Heading out I purchased their LP and 7" of Dandelion. Can't wait to play these over and over to re-live last night. Maybe someday my future grandchildren will sing along ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment