Monday, May 22, 2017

.bush tetras @ johnny brendas

The Simple Pleasure are so fun!
This show was so much fun and The Simple Pleasure has a new fan! They opened for Bush Tetras, hailing from Texas. The lead singer had googly eye stickers on his guitar and the bass player's haircut reminded me of Yolandi Visser from Die Antwoord. Regardless they had songs titled "Milfshake" and lyrics such as "Saturday night is for buttholes!" The cherry on top was their encore. In a Bon Jovi-esque move that robotic straw was attached to the mic for a thrilling rendition of the "Grease" theme. Grease is the word! I felt bad the place wasn't packed as most people came in closer to Bush Tetras set. That didn't discourage The Simple Pleasure as they played like they were playing for hundreds of people. The next band up was "Wild at Heart." One of the guitar players I recognized from a few Philly bands. My friend and I looked at each other as their set was extremely brief (about fifteen minutes long!) Hrm..

Cynthia = badass
Pat Place = beast on guitar
Finally Bush Tetras came out to an elated audience. I LOVED that the bassist of The Simple Pleasure was dancing all night to their songs with her friend in the audience. Soon others joined in their fun as well. Cynthia was so bad-ass. I cannot believe she is 60! She claimed she was having senior moments on stage trying to remember certain lyrics but her stage presence was commanding and many times playful with the audience. The band wrote their set lists on paper plates. To hear "Too Many Creeps" was so amazing! There was an older guy rocking out to it down below. How I wished I stayed on the floor but I knew I would have no energy for Amanda Palmer the following night in Brooklyn. That's why I took to the balcony. The funniest thing Cynthia said was that her songs relevant to the Reagan era are still relevant today. On the way out I purchased the "Too Many Creeps" 7" album along with two pins. So happy to have finally seen them. As much as I wanted to see Sylvan Esso (both nights sold out over the weekend) I'm glad I did this instead. Would've totally missed out on a super fun and energetic night with this group.

No comments:

Post a Comment