Monday, May 22, 2017

.pharmakon @ philamoca

Pharmakon and her equipment
I'm going to be honest this show was not what I expected. Pushing my musical boundaries most people would not expect me to like or listen to this type of music. When I first heard of Pharmakon I found her biography fascinating, how she incorporated sound with a battle against her body at the time and the psyche (how the mind can leave the body). My copy of "Contact" came in the mail a week prior to the show and those songs are so damn creepy. Requiem for a Dream is my least favorite movie that haunts me to this day so listening to music that sounds as though it could be on that soundtrack is pushing my boundaries. I wasn't sure what type of crowd would come out, I knew I would be the dorkiest of dorks attending this. 

There were two openers. S-1 reminded me of bands I saw in the First Unitarian Church when Sheer Mag played a show waaay back when. The lead singer came on the floor in front of the stage and people started to mosh. However, she never left the front of the stage and just moved about. It wasn't so out of control but some of the guys in the audience were getting rowdy. I could tell some of the female band members were almost rolling eyes hearing their "WOOOO!" and comments after a song. The next opener was Dreamcrusher. Being shy, sensitive, and not liking my personal space invaded I was really uncomfortable during this set. I understand that bands like to challenge their audience but not like this. When you spend 90% of the set off the stage, walking in the audience screaming in faces with your mic and pushing people that doesn't make for a comfortable situation at all. I'm guessing that's the aesthetic he was going for but it wasn't my cup of tea. During the entire set I stayed back against the wall hoping not to be victim of this guy's anger / set. There were a few other women just like me in the same position that I could tell felt uncomfortable.

Retreating to the balcony lol
When Pharmakon came out she did the same thing but was not as aggressive nor touched the audience. After a while this got to me so I waited for a moment when she went back to the stage to escape and retreat up to the balcony. This lasted for only one or two songs as her set ended. Despite my not so positive experience her equipment was really fascinating. Unfortunately everything conked out early on in her set and boy was she mad. Finally after two minutes things got going. I think she felt really flustered but the audience was really patient and understanding. 

As I exited the venue I thought that maybe this show wasn't the greatest idea. No offense to her fans, it's just not for me. I'd rather just listen and support via vinyl. When I crossed the street to walk past Union Transfer I heard the dreamy sounds of Perfume Genius (I passed on tickets) infiltrating the crisp air outside and thought, "Maybe I made the wrong decision tonight..."

No comments:

Post a Comment