Sunday, May 7, 2017

.juliana hatfield @ boot & saddle

Laura Stevenson, you were wonderful!
 I've been a fan of Juliana Hatfield for a while. Most heavily in my late high school / early college days. This was my first time seeing her live so I was really excited. I was also excited to have Laura Stevenson open for her. The stars never aligned in seeing Stevenson because other shows always interfered. What I discovered is we apparently share a birthday and enjoy breakfast at the Silver Dollar in Cherry Hill. It was just Laura and her guitar, her songs about depression and break-ups. She politely squeezed in between me and another person to get to the stage. I failed to say "Great set" when she passed by me a second time. Words escaped me :(


In all her glory
There was an asshole couple in the crowd during the show. The girl clearly intoxicated and kept bumping into me. Finally they moved but to no avow got an extremely disapproving scolding from another fan in the crowd for being annoying. I could literally hear him shouting at them over Juliana's singing. As hoped, they stopped and moved back. Anyway, I arrived a little late because of parking and felt awkward squeezing up front. Literally I was four rows back but it looks like much further away from my pictures (which look grainy). Juliana kicked into "No Idols" and I was transported back to the early 90s, those carefree days. The woman still has it! She played a mix of older and then songs off of her new album "Pussycat." Her response to Donald Trump as President. Being good I restrained myself from merch and albums even though her tee-shirts were stylish. Looking at the tags on Instagram she has a handful of fans following her on this tour; taking pictures from the venues every night practically. Thanks Juliana Hatfield for making my 90s dream come true. I will read your book soon! Promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment