Saturday, April 29, 2017

.rsd 2017

Picked up a "few" of the female artists they had in stock
A normal person after seeing two nights in a row of PJ Harvey would sleep in on their day off from concerts. No, not me. As much as I said, "Yeah I'm not doing RSD this year" I lied and had major FOMO waking up at 7:00 a.m. on a Saturday morning. Exhausted, I drove over to Tunes thinking I only had a few minutes before the store opened and would just get out of my car. Counting the people in line I was about 20th. When I finally walked over to stand in line I discovered the store doesn't open until 9:00. Another hour to kill. I texted friends most of the time or read my book. As the doors opened I was ready to find the albums I was looking for. I was also thankful I didn't have to listen to any of the obnoxious older guys in line and their colorful language to emphasize said stories.

Tunes displays all of their RSD titles on the walls of the store. I like this because it's easy to see everything and you don't have to "wait" for people to flip through crates of albums. My tops on my wishlist were The Sundays, Distillers, The Cure, Filthy Friends, Big Thief, and Priests. The Cure was the first album I snagged. The albums themselves are just beautiful with Robert Smith adorned in starry backgrounds. Frantic I kept searching for The Distillers but to no avail! Thankfully I looked carefully and noticed the cover was different from the one posted on the RSD site. I nabbed the LAST COPY of Coral Fang. How lucky! Then making my way to the 7"s I only saw Patti Smith and Against Me! Waiting in line I texted my friend who was at the record stores in Philly. She managed to pick me up Filthy Friends and Priests. Neither of us could find the Big Thief 7" and NO ONE had The Sundays. Mad because some of the guys in front of me had copies in their hands. All of a sudden near the door I noticed on the display table of books was Laura J Grace's "Tranny" which I picked up immediately. As the line wrapped around the other side of the store I kept eyeing up this boxed set of Sex Pistols singles from the UK and US. Finally caving in I decided to buy it since the set would make an awesome collector's item someday. My grand total came to a little under $200 along with a free cd sampler, poster, and tote bag. A bit more than I wanted to spend but at least left happy after 40 minutes of standing in line. This is bad since I already ordered a ton of albums off "Vinyl Me Please" but these are rare releases so it's all good. Just wish there were more FEMALE bands represented during RSD. A whopping 12% which is ridiculous. We need to do better!

No comments:

Post a Comment