Friday, June 30, 2017

.helium / mary timony @ boot and saddle

The cutest!
When I found out that Mary Timony was coming to Philly playing Helium songs I screamed and my voice became weepy as I exclaimed "Oh my god! Mary Timony!" It is so hard to find Helium vinyl and now with the 20th anniversary, cheers for the re-issues! Since her show sold out immediately a second show was added. Going to the later show there was no opener just MT and the band. So many familiar faces in the crowd it felt like home! Many people I met through Sleater-Kinney type bands that I talked to at previous concerts. It was nice to see everyone so excited over this whole ordeal.
She shreds!

Mary Timony came out in a lace black half-sleeved blouse which was funny because I put back an identical shirt in my closet a few hours earlier but we matched with gray high-top chucks. Witnessing her play guitar up close is like nothing I could have imagined. The first time I remember watching her plug away was through Wild Flag's Sonic Sessions on Youtube. That just blew me away when she would put the pick between her teeth and started tapping away. Her reach is incredible as her hand becomes a stretched out claw hitting those chords or plugging away. I think I shot 20 second videos of all my favorite Helium songs because I knew I wouldn't hear them live again. She was super smiley and appreciative of the audience. 

After her last song she blew kisses and like a dork I motioned the Wayne's World "We're not worthy!" with both of my hands. What a night! I finally properly met S-K fan Lisa and her son was rad, he asked for the set list and got it. Here were the songs she played. Out of all the songs I was happiest to hear "Vibrations." Looking at the DC set list I didn't see that song on there and thought she wouldn't play it. I was wrong. Three summers ago I discovered Mary Timony for the first time. I feel awful coming into the fandom so late but so grateful for this show! 



No comments:

Post a Comment